Why You Should Never Feed Chocolate To Your Dogs

Come on! Who doesn’t like chocolate? Most people I know will sneak a piece of chocolate at least once in a while.

Just the word “chocolate” is enough to make your mouth water. In fact, if I were to say the word ‘chocolate’ enough times, some of you would probably rush to the fridge and devour the last piece of chocolate you’d been saving for an ‘opportune’ moment.

For the time being, let’s keep our own interests on the back-burner and see how this habit of ‘chocolate-devouring’ affects the other creatures with whom we share our planet.

Hey Puppy! Do You Want Some Chocolate?

Regardless of how deliciously pleasant chocolate may be to our senses (predominantly smell and taste), chocolates are not great for animals, especially for dogs. There have been many incidents around the world when feeding chocolate to a pet like a dog or a cat resulted in unexplained illnesses, or in some cases, even death!

For dogs, it’s pretty much like this:

Oh Chocolate! Why is Thee Bad for Me?

Let’s look at what chocolate actually contains. Firstly, a chocolate contains theobromine, which is an alkaloid chemical like caffeine (you must have heard of ‘caffeine’ being associated with coffee, various drugs, and so on). It seems good when consumed, but in reality, it isn’t that great for your body if consumed in large amounts. Even in human beings, caffeine can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and if taken in high quantities, it can even lead to heart failure or seizures.

Essentially, the consumption of chocolate is bad for both humans and dogs alike, but there is a catch…

catch

Not as Good as Humans… No Offense!

If chocolate isn’t good for humans either, why can a man get away with consuming this amount of caffeine, but a dog will fall ill?

Human’s ability to consume this level of caffeine is due to difference in the respective bodies of dogs and humans. You see, the metabolism of dogs has not evolved as elegantly as that of humans; therefore, the enzymes that take care of these plant chemicals are still not ready to deal with them efficiently.

Dogs are about 3 times more sensitive to chocolate than humans, per kilo of body weight, so two 120-gram (4.2-ounce) bars of dark chocolate are enough to make a 20-kilogram (44-pound) dog ill, while half a kilogram (1.1 pounds) could even be fatal to the poor canine.

While this quantity looks wonderful for chocolate lovers around the world, dogs have a hard time dealing with the chemicals that chocolates have hidden within

Bottom Line: NO CHOCOLATE FOR DOGS!

 

References:

  1. Can A Dog Die From Eating Chocolate? – Physics Van (University of Illinois at Urbana-Campaign
  2. Chocolate Toxicity – Indiana Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (Purdue University)
  3. WebMd.com
The short URL of the present article is: http://sciabc.us/V55LD
Help us make this article better
Tags:
About the Author:

Ashish is a Science graduate (Bachelor of Science) from Punjabi University (India). He spends a lot of time watching movies, and an awful lot more time discussing them. He likes Harry Potter and the Avengers, and obsesses over how thoroughly Science dictates every aspect of life… in this universe, at least.

.
Science ABC YouTube Videos

  1. Why Is Space Cold If There Are So Many Stars?
  2. Why Do You Hear A Rumbling Sound When You Close Your Eyes Too Hard?
  3. Hawking Radiation Explained: What Exactly Was Stephen Hawking Famous For?
  4. Current Vs Voltage: How Much Current Can Kill You?
  5. Coefficient Of Restitution: Why Certain Objects Are More Bouncy Than Others?
  6. Jump From Space: What Happens If You Do A Space Jump?
  7. Does Earth Come To The Same Spot Every Year On Your Birthday?
  8. Bird Strike: What Happens When A Bird Strikes An Aircraft?

Get more stuff like this
in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.