At ScienceABC, we are committed to providing our readers with engaging, accurate, and insightful content that celebrates the wonders of science and fosters a deeper understanding of the world around us.
So much of our world runs on science and technology, and so much of it is shrouded behind jargon and hard to read language. ScienceABC is our attempt at making science more accessible to a wider audience, and that is fun to read. We hope that the questions we ask on the website will further curiosity, and enable and support critical thinking in our readers.
What do we publish?
On our website, we began with publishing popular science articles, asking questions about the world and answering them using science. We mainly cover the life sciences, physics, and chemistry, with a smattering of math. Recently, we’ve expanded to covering humanities and social science topics such as economics, history and sociology. As a part of the website, we also include images, infographics and videos to aid the text. Image and infographics are sourced from external sources and vendors as well as created by our staff.
On our YouTube channel, we post animated science videos with the aim to inform and entertain, and provide resources for students and teachers on their education journey.
To be able to stick to our word, we have established the following Publishing Principles:
- Scientific Accuracy: We prioritize scientific accuracy above all else. Our content is thoroughly researched, fact-checked, and reviewed by subject matter experts to provide you with reliable and up-to-date information. When we present scientific theories or research, we strive to accurately represent the current state of knowledge.
- Clarity and Accessibility: Science can sometimes be complex, but we aim to present it in a way that is clear, understandable, and accessible to all readers. We avoid unnecessary jargon and explain technical terms when they are essential to the understanding of a topic.
- Diverse Perspectives: Science is enriched by diverse viewpoints, and we encourage respectful discussions on a wide range of scientific topics. We welcome perspectives from different cultures, backgrounds, and disciplines, promoting inclusivity and a broader understanding of the world. We believe diversity is key to good publishing practices. Considering we live in a highly globalized world, we try our best to include as many varied voices, perspectives and identities in our work for a global audience. We are also firmly against discrimination of any kind, be it on the basis of gender, ethnicity, class or nationality. We strive to reflect such values in the writers we commission and experts we solicit for review
- Ethical Journalism: We adhere to ethical journalism practices and respect the privacy and consent of individuals featured in our content. Any sensitive topics are handled with care and empathy.
- Citation and Attribution: We always credit original sources and provide proper citations for scientific studies, research papers, and other reputable references. By doing so, we help our readers explore further and verify the information presented.
- We do not tolerate plagiarism. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited in our content creation process. We provide proper attribution and citations for all external sources, including scientific studies, research papers, and quotes from experts.
- Continuous Improvement: We are committed to continuously improving our content and user experience. Feedback from our readers is highly appreciated and plays a vital role in shaping our future content.
For our writers, staff and freelance, we have a strict editorial and fact-checking policy to ensure accuracy and uphold the publication’s values.
- Verification Process: Before any article is published, our team of editors and fact-checkers rigorously verify the information presented. This involves cross-referencing data, claims, and statements with reputable sources and scientific literature.
- Multiple Sources: We rely on multiple reputable sources for our research. Our fact-checking process includes consulting peer-reviewed scientific journals, academic institutions, government agencies, and experts in the relevant fields to ensure a comprehensive and accurate understanding of the topic.
- In-Text Citations: In our articles, we provide hyperlinks to sources for any claims that are made in the text and references to the sources we used during the research process. This allows our readers to verify the information independently and delve deeper into the subject matter.
- Correction of Errors: Despite our best efforts, errors may occasionally occur. When we become aware of any inaccuracies in our content, we promptly correct them. We encourage our readers to provide feedback and flag any concerns they may have about the accuracy of our content. If you believe we have made an error, please let us know by filling this form here or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will investigate the matter promptly.
- Ongoing Review and Training: Our fact-checking policy is not static; it evolves as new methodologies and best practices emerge. Our team regularly undergoes training to stay updated on the latest fact-checking techniques.
We’re grateful that you provide us your attention and hope to continue to improve our work to provide you with valuable content. Thank you for being a reader and part of our community.