So much of our world runs on science and technology, but the discoveries and technology are often shrouded behind a wall of jargon and hard-to-read language. ScienceABC is our attempt at answering questions you may have about how the world works in a way that anyone can understand. We hope the questions we ask on the website will further curiosity and enable and support critical thinking in our readers.
What do we publish?
On our website, we began by publishing popular science articles, asking questions about the world, and answering them using science. We mainly cover the life sciences, physics, and chemistry, with a smattering of math. Recently, we’ve expanded to cover humanities and social science topics such as economics, history, and sociology. As a part of the website, we also include images, infographics, and videos to aid the text. Images and infographics are sourced from external sources and vendors and created by our staff.
On our YouTube channel, we post animated science videos to inform, entertain, and provide resources for students and teachers on their educational journey.
To be able to stick to our word, we have established the following Publishing Principles:
- Scientific Accuracy: Our content is thoroughly researched, fact-checked, and reviewed by subject matter experts to provide reliable and up-to-date information. When we present scientific theories or research, we strive to represent the current state of knowledge accurately.
- Clarity and Accessibility: Science can sometimes be complex, but we aim to present it in a way that is clear, understandable, and accessible to all readers. We avoid unnecessary jargon and explain technical terms when they are essential to the understanding of a topic.
- Diverse Perspectives: Science is enriched by diverse viewpoints, and we encourage respectful discussions on various scientific topics. We welcome perspectives from different cultures, backgrounds, and disciplines, promoting inclusivity and a broader understanding of the world. We are also firmly against discrimination of any kind, be it based on gender, ethnicity, class, or nationality. We strive to reflect such values in the writers we commission and experts we solicit for review.
- Ethical Journalism: We adhere to ethical journalism practices and respect the privacy and consent of individuals featured in our content. Any sensitive topics are handled with care and empathy.
- Citation and Attribution: We always credit sources and provide proper citations. Doing so, we help our readers explore further and verify the information presented.
- We do not tolerate plagiarism. Plagiarism is strictly prohibited in our content creation process. We provide proper attribution and citations for all external sources, including scientific studies, research papers, and expert quotes.
- Continuous Improvement: We are committed to improving our content and user experience continuously. Feedback from our readers is highly appreciated and plays a vital role in shaping our future content.
What makes us reliable? A guide for authors
For our writers, staff, and freelancers, we have a strict editorial and fact-checking policy to ensure accuracy and uphold the publication’s values.
- Verification Process: Before any article is published, our editors and fact-checkers rigorously verify the information presented. This involves cross-referencing data, claims, and statements with reputable sources and scientific literature.
- Multiple Sources: We rely on multiple sources for our research. Our fact-checking process includes consulting peer-reviewed scientific journals, academic institutions, government agencies, and experts in the relevant fields to ensure a comprehensive and accurate understanding of the topic.
- In-Text Citations: In our articles, we provide hyperlinks to sources for any claims made in the text and references to the sources we used during the research process. This allows our readers to verify the information independently and delve deeper into the subject matter.
- Correction of Errors: Despite our best efforts, errors do occasionally occur. When we become aware of any inaccuracies in our content, we promptly correct them. We encourage our readers to provide feedback and flag any concerns they may have about the accuracy of our content. If you believe we have made an error, please let us know by filling out this form here or emailing us at email@example.com, and we will investigate the matter promptly.
- Ongoing Review and Training: Our fact-checking policy is not static; it evolves as new methodologies and best practices emerge. Our team regularly undergoes training to stay updated on the latest fact-checking techniques.
We’re grateful for your attention and hope to continue to improve our work to provide you with valuable content. Thank you for being a reader and part of our community.