Is The World Going To Have A New Ocean?

Table of Contents (click to expand)

We currently have five oceans on the planet. Would you like to have one more added to the list?

You have probably heard the statement that our planet is 70% water plenty of times in your life. Given that on the remaining 30% of the planet, there are 7 terrestrial continents where more than 7.3 billion people live quite comfortably, you can probably start to realize the true vastness of that 70%.

The last time I checked, there were 5 major oceans in the world, but has it ever crossed your mind that there could be some room for a sixth?

Recommended Video for you:

If you wish to buy/license this video, please write to us at

How Things Currently Stand

As stated above, our planet is currently home to five major oceans. These are the Pacific Ocean (the biggest and the deepest), the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Southern Ocean and the Arctic Ocean (the smallest).

oceans of the world
Oceans of the world (Source:

In the past, only four of these oceans were recognized, but in the year 2000, the International Hydrographic Organization introduced the Southern Ocean and determined its boundaries (there have been certain discrepancies and changes over the years, though).

If we went up from four to five, is it possible that we could have another ocean and move again from five to six?

Also Read: Was The Earth Ever Totally Underwater?

It Has Already Started

I’s highly unlikely that a new ocean will pop up somewhere, given the fact that the existing oceans have a monopoly over the water on the globe. However, quite amazingly, the process a new ocean forming has already begun.

afar rift
The Afar Rift (Source:

A large crack is forming in the Ethiopian Afar desert and researchers believe that it is set to be the latest addition to our planet’s group of oceans. The rift is 64 kilometers long (almost 40 miles) and 6 metres wide at certain places. It is accompanied by a volcano, Dabbahu, which lies at the northern end of the rift. The volcano erupted back in 2005, and that event helped to create the first 56 kilometers (almost 35 miles) of the rift, which happened in only 10 days! Before the eruption of the volcano, a few earthquakes shook the area, which caused magma to gush up through the crack and spread in both directions along the rift.

Also Read: Is The African Continent Splitting In Two?

Slow And Steady

After the crack across the surface of the ground, it continued to develop, albeit at a slower pace. Magma has continued to flow over the surface and volcanoes have continued to erupt periodically. Also, the deep fissure has kept growing. Researchers are amazed by the swiftness with which this whole process is occurring and the fact that this development is remarkably similar to processes that usually take place on the ocean floor.

Aerial view of the Afar Rift (Source:
Aerial view of the Afar Rift (Source:

The Outcome

Scientists believe that the Afar Rift will eventually connect the Red Sea to the north and the Arabian Sea to the south; as a result, the Afar Rift will turn into a new ocean!

The rate at which the whole process is happening is very slow, so if it continues at its current pace, it will take another 10 million years to become a full-fledged ocean! However, if you could make it that long, you would witness something quite rare and magnificent on our planet – the formation of a new ocean!

How well do you understand the article above!

Can you answer a few questions based on the article you just read?

References (click to expand)
  1. (1970) THE AFAR TRIANGLE - jstor. JSTOR
  2. African Desert Rift Confirmed as New Ocean in the Making. The University of Rochester
  3. Souriot, T., & Brun, J.-P. (1992). Faulting and block rotation in the Afar triangle, East Africa: The Danakil "crank-arm" model. Geology. Geological Society of America.
Share This Article

Suggested Reading

Was this article helpful?
Help us make this article better
Scientific discovery can be unexpected and full of chance surprises. Take your own here and learn something new and perhaps surprising!

Follow ScienceABC on Social Media:

About the Author

Ashish is a Science graduate (Bachelor of Science) from Punjabi University (India). He spearheads the content and editorial wing of ScienceABC and manages its official Youtube channel. He’s a Harry Potter fan and tries, in vain, to use spells and charms (Accio! [insert object name]) in real life to get things done. He totally gets why JRR Tolkien would create, from scratch, a language spoken by elves, and tries to bring the same passion in everything he does. A big admirer of Richard Feynman and Nikola Tesla, he obsesses over how thoroughly science dictates every aspect of life… in this universe, at least.